Celebrating the Love of Friends in a Loving World

Celebrating the Love of Friends in a Loving World
Red Roses for You, My Sweet Friends ... Total Love.

My Sweet Friends

My sweet friends,

We grow closer to each other;

When we interact together and share ideas;

The common faith that we share,

Binds our hearts in one accord.

For sweet friendships last a life time,

When built on mutual respect, humility and understanding;

Throughout each different season,

We find we are one in life.

Sweet friends are there through times of grief;

And times when hope is gone;

Always there with encouragement;

So we can carry on.

I thank the Lord for you,

My true and faithful friends;

To fondly speak with you, whether we agree or not,

On this, our beloved blog;

For sweet friends will stay, no matter what;

Giving support.

Together, our hearts and minds truly unite;

With the amazing love of sweet friends.

In the spirit of true friendship,

Best wishes, my sweet friends;

May the Lord bless you abundantly.

I remain, yours truly,

B.B. Bakampa.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Follow by Email

Translate

Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

WHAT AN UNPROFESSIONAL LECTURER!

By Bakampa Brian Baryaguma
bsaint3@gmail.com; www.bbbakampa.blogspot.com


Today morning was a very bad day for me in Makerere University––academically speaking. One of my beloved lecturers, Ms Namyalo Hadijja, denied me the opportunity of asking a question in her class. I wanted to know better from her something that I hadn’t understood in the course of her lecture.

My question concerned the interpretation of section 87(c) of the Magistrates Courts Act, Cap. 16, Laws of Uganda. I had read this provision earlier, consulted a text book and read some cases on it but still failed to find the proper and befitting interpretation of it. My hopes lay on putting it to my lecturer when she comes to teach. Alas, this wasn’t so.

After dictating some notes and doing some explanation, she asked whether there were any questions. I immediately put up my hand to ask and she picked me. I began by saying that, “I did not understand the essence of the twelve months requirement…” when she interjected.

“What don’t you understand about that?” she asked me rudely. No sooner had I fully explained my case to her than she barked at me saying, “So what do you want to ask about that?” At this point, she ignored me and told my neighbour to read the other remaining paragraphs of the section 87. My hopes of understanding were completely dashed.

I just couldn’t believe that such a thing happened. I was utterly shocked by this exhibition of high level unprofessionalism by someone who on several occasions, boasts of and takes pride in having passed through this very law school. And this disbelief is not exclusive to me as some of my classmates shared with me their feeling too. In fact, someone remarked from the back that “Yamawe” (literally meaning, Oh!). Another one had told me earlier that he contemplates not attending any more Criminal Procedure lectures just because he doesn’t like the lecturer’s instruction method.

I am aware that Ms Namyalo has told us before that she doesn’t practice criminal law, ostensibly because she doesn’t want to burden policemen who earn peanuts compared to her. Assuming this to be right, it can’t nevertheless, justify her failure or intended failure to execute her duties as a lecturer of criminal law and procedure as practice of law and teaching of the same are entirely different things.

True, lecturers can’t be expected to know everything. But where they clearly don’t know and are afraid that this may occasion embarrassment, there are more decent ways of putting off students’ undesirable questions. Besides, it is no manifestation of cowardice or incompetence to concede that one doesn’t know. Several lecturers have done it and they haven’t been dismissed. Her conduct smirked of unprofessionalism and was uncalled for. Much as I felt angry and embarrassed, I have decided to forgive her.