Celebrating the Love of Friends in a Loving World

Celebrating the Love of Friends in a Loving World
Red Roses for You, My Sweet Friends ... Total Love.

My Sweet Friends

My sweet friends,

We grow closer to each other;

When we interact together and share ideas;

The common faith that we share,

Binds our hearts in one accord.

For sweet friendships last a life time,

When built on mutual respect, humility and understanding;

Throughout each different season,

We find we are one in life.

Sweet friends are there through times of grief;

And times when hope is gone;

Always there with encouragement;

So we can carry on.

I thank the Lord for you,

My true and faithful friends;

To fondly speak with you, whether we agree or not,

On this, our beloved blog;

For sweet friends will stay, no matter what;

Giving support.

Together, our hearts and minds truly unite;

With the amazing love of sweet friends.

In the spirit of true friendship,

Best wishes, my sweet friends;

May the Lord bless you abundantly.

I remain, yours truly,

B.B. Bakampa.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Follow by Email

Translate

Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Safe Male Circumcision: Every Man’s Way to Go

By Bakampa Brian Baryaguma
[Dip. Law (First Class)–LDC; Cert. PELD–NALI-K; LLB Student–Mak]
bsaint3@gmail.com; www.bbbakampa.blogspot.com

After several procrastinations and unfulfilled personal promises, I went for Safe Male Circumcision (SMC) at Makerere University Hospital, on Friday, February 17th, 2012. I overcame my fear me and took the bold decision to face the surgeon’s knife. I thought I would quit before the end of the operation, but I persevered to the end. Actually, to be honest, I did not at any one moment believe that I was finally undergoing this widely dreaded exercise, not until it was done and over!

It all stated on Thursday, 16th February, 2012, when I visited the University hospital for a Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) confirmatory test. After testing HIV negative, my counsellors advised and encouraged me to go for medical circumcision as an extra measure against contracting HIV. I expressed my usual fears but they assured me that it was both 100% safe and free. I reluctantly agreed and promised them that I would come the next day, upon which they thanked me in advance for making the right decision.

Thereafter, I seriously pondered this matter. Having consulted a few friends of mine including, Sserwaniko Henry, who assured me that the whole thing was truly safe and good to go for, I made the decision to show up the next day, early in the morning. My decision was mainly for two reasons: improving personal hygiene and the fun of getting circumcised. The argument that circumcision reduces chances of HIV infection by 60% has never impressed me much because this is not some sort of immunity from or vaccination against getting infected. Besides, 40% chances of infection is too high a figure for anyone in their proper senses to gamble about.

I was at the hospital by 7:45 am early next morning and I was both impressed and shocked by the huge number of youth turning up for circumcision. At about 8:15 am, we started off with what was conveniently termed as a “pre-circumcision counselling session”, during which we expressed our fears and expectations about the whole exercise, had them responded to by the counsellor and received information on post-circumcision hygiene and care as well as the benefits of circumcision.

Then we had to go through a fairly lengthy and elaborate process of medical tests and documentation, after which we were ready to go to the theatre for the operation. Truth be told, all this time I was scared and fearful of the unknown, but through prayer, I relied on God’s grace to be strong, calm and courageous enough to fully undergo the operation. In the theatre, a dose of anaesthesia was administered on my penis to ‘kill’ pain and after some time, I finally lay on the surgical bed to be operated upon. The exercise was quick, painless and incredibly exciting to go through. By 12:35 pm, it was finished and after receiving a dose of paracetamol (panadol) pain killers, I was told to go and come back after one week for follow up. I discovered later, that I was the 4407th person to be circumcised at this hospital!

Within two weeks, I was completely healed, without any complications whatsoever. I lived a normal life including attending my lectures everyday, without hindrance. One month later, I have never regretted my decision to go for Safe Male Circumcision. In fact, now I live a more fulfilling and rewarding life and for this reason therefore, I recommend SMC as every man’s way to go.